There is nothing more Southern than biscuits and gravy for breakfast. These fluffy low-carb/keto biscuits are low-carb and fill the high-carb biscuit void!
WHAT ARE KETO BISCUITS?
Quite simply, keto biscuits are a low-carb, high fat variation of a traditional flour-laden biscuit. These use almond flour, mozzarella cheese, and sour cream to ensure they are moist and delicious.
The term biscuit can actually mean two different products, depending on where in the world you are. In North America, biscuits refer to round, fluffy bread products traditionally eaten at breakfast.
However, in other parts of the world, biscuits refer to small cookie or cracker-like products that are crunchy and hard. They can either be sweet or not, depending on their use and the meal intended for.
This recipe refers to the first of the two, the North American variety.
KETO BISCUIT INGREDIENTS
To make these awesome low-carb biscuits, you’ll need to round up the following ingredients.
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cups sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
After you have these ingredients ready to go, you’re ready to create some deliciousness!
HOW TO MAKE LOW-CARB BISCUITS
Begin by preheating your oven to 400˚F. Grease your muffin pan with coconut oil cooking spray or butter.
Combine all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well using a hand mixer. Alternatively, you can use a whisk, but a hand mixer will do the job much faster and better. Not to mention, it’s much easier!
Spoon or pour mixture into muffin tin, filling the cups around 2/3 of the way full.
Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits start to turn a light golden color. Remove from oven and let cool for 3 minutes
Run a knife around the edge of each biscuit to loosen. Remove from the muffin tin and devour!
CAN I USE COCONUT FLOUR INSTEAD OF ALMOND FLOUR?
You could, but as a general rule coconut flour is very dry in comparison. If you are a seasoned user of coconut flour, you know how to take it and use it properly.
If you are like us and don’t use coconut flour often (or at all, really) then it is definitely best to stay away from trying to use it. We aren’t fans of coconut flour in recipes unless we have to use it for some reason.
WILL THESE BE DRY?
Not in the least! Thanks to the mozzarella cheese, sour cream, and butter used in the recipe, there is really no way on earth these biscuits can be dry.
In fact, these are some of the most moist biscuits we’ve ever had. And trust us, we’ve had lots of good ole (full of carbs) Southern biscuits throughout the years.
BUT… WHAT IF…
Should for some unseen reason your biscuits turn out dry, your best bet is to butter them liberally (more info on this below). After buttering them, let them sit for a few minutes to let the butter seep in.
At this point, they should be moist enough to eat!
A TIP ABOUT BUTTERING YOUR BISCUITS…
Even though this is possibly the most Southern saying you’ve ever heard… There is some information you need to know on how to butter your biscuits for even more deliciousness.
The best way to make your biscuits extra yummy is to butter them. However, I see people butter biscuits totally wrong (at least in my opinion) all the time.
I like to butter my biscuits twice. Once by melting a pat (small sliver) of butter on each biscuit. Second by cutting them in half right after they come out of the oven and adding another pat of butter.
This of course, is our opinion on this, but it helps to make the biscuits even more moist and adds that delicious butter taste.
If you’re interested in making your own butter at home, check out this article.
WHAT GOES GREAT WITH LOW-CARB/KETO BISCUITS
Here are a few of our favorite ideas for these biscuits.
- Keto Cream Cheese Icing (gives it a pseudo-cinnamon roll taste)
- Keto Pumpkin Butter (great for the fall!)
- Keto Maple Bacon Butter (a delicious bacon and maple spread for a hot biscuit)
- Keto Blackberry Ice Cream (dollop a scoopful of ice cream on top and enjoy)
- Keto Bacon and Egg Salad (use the biscuit as a sandwich)
For more ideas, you can check out our recipe index
TOOLS NEEDED TO MAKE LOW-CARB/KETO BISCUITS
- Hand Mixer – A hand mixer is an invaluable addition to your kitchen arsenal. They are able to take out all of the hard work when mixing basically anything. They are especially handy when needing to mix something thicker (like this mixture) or something that requires mixing for a longer period of time like our Keto White Chocolate Mousse. Don’t have a hand mixer? You should get one ASAP!
- Preheat oven to 400˚F
- Grease muffin pan with coconut oil cooking spray or butter
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well using a hand mixer
- Spoon or pour mixture into muffin tin, filling the cups around 2/3 of the way full
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits start to turn a light golden color
- Remove from oven and let cool for 3 minutes
- Run a knife around the edge of each biscuit to loosen
- Remove from muffin tin and devour!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 biscuit
Amount Per Serving Calories 205Total Fat 13gCarbohydrates 2gProtein 2g