One of the best hidden secret dessert recipes around. This keto sugar cream pie is super easy to make and utterly delicious to eat!
WHAT IS SUGAR CREAM PIE?
Sugar cream pie (or sugar pie, as its known in other countries around the world) is a pie traditionally made from butter, flour, cream or milk, and brown sugar.
When baked, these ingredients combine into a homogeneous mixture similar to caramel. If maple syrup is used, it might be referred to as maple pie.
The Indiana version of a sugar pie, known as “sugar cream pie”, is believed to have originated with Quaker settlers who came from North Carolina in the early 19th century, and thereafter settled in east-central Indiana
The Amish also popularized sugar cream pie, making the pie easy to find where they populated. In particular, the pie is a favorite in the Pennsylvania Dutch areas, much as is shoofly pie, a similar dessert.
KETO SUGAR CREAM PIE INGREDIENTS
Before making this delicious keto cream pie, you’ll need to make sure you have the following ingredients on hand.
For the crust…
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener
- use coupon code betterthanbreadketo for 20% off your order!
For the filling…
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cups Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener
- use coupon code betterthanbreadketo for 20% off your order!
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
After you’ve got these ingredients, you’re set and ready to begin!
HOW TO MAKE A SUGAR CREAM PIE
Begin by preheating your oven to 400˚F. Mix the crust ingredients together and form a crust in a glass pie plate.
Bake the crust for 8 minutes (or until starting to brown), then remove from the oven.
Combine all of the filling ingredients into a pot over low heat. Stirring occasionally, only heat the cream, don’t boil it! You are just aiming to warm it so the sweetener can dissolve much easier.
After the cream has been heated and the sweetener dissolved, pour the filling mixture into the pie place over the crust
Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until the cream has turned a nice a light golden color. The cream will more than likely caramelize around the edges of the pie plate, but that is completely normal!
Remove the pie from the oven and let cool. Chill the pie at least 4 hours before serving (overnight is best).
You’ll want to let the pie cool so it sets up fully and the flavors mix fully.
Slice and enjoy!
WHY DOESN’T THIS RECIPE USE CONDENSED MILK?
The simplest answer is because condensed milk is chock full of sugar and carbohydrates. Even though many traditional sugar cream pie recipes call for condensed milk, we use heavy cream instead.
For comparison, heavy cream has roughly 11g of carbohydrates per cup. Condensed milk, on the other hand, has a whopping 166g of carbohydrates per cup.
Because of this, condensed milk is definitely not keto or low-carb.
STORING KETO SUGAR CREAM PIE
Storing keto sugar cream pie is incredibly easy!
There are basically two main ways to store your leftover pie. First, you can slice the pie and place it into air-tight storage containers. This way, you can have individual servings or however you like to do it.
Secondly, and more easily, you can store it in the pie plate you make it in. After the pie cools, cover it in aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or cling wrap.
Keep in mind, both methods require you to store the pie in the fridge. The pie will keep for 4 – 5 days before it should be discarded.
REHEATING SUGAR CREAM PIE
Should you choose to reheat your sugar cream pie (it is normally eaten cold, but can be reheated if you desire), it is super easy to do. When reheating, you have a couple different options to get the job done.
USING THE MICROWAVE
The quickest way to reheat your pie is to heat it in the microwave. To start, remove your leftover pie from the refrigerator. If you have already cut it into slices, then remove a slice and place on a plate.
If the pie isn’t sliced yet, cut a piece and place onto a plate. Place into the microwave and heat in 15 second increments until the desired temperature is achieved.
Voila! A simple and easy way to warm your sugar cream pie!
USING THE OVEN
Using the oven is another great option to reheat your pie, especially if you’re wanting to reheat all of your leftover pie at one time. Otherwise, using the oven is a good way to bring the pie up to temperature more slowly, making sure no flavors are changed in the process.
Preheat your oven to 325˚F. Place either your pie slice or entire leftover pie into the oven in an oven-safe dish. If you used a glass pie dish as we recommend, you can just pop the entire thing into the oven.
Heat for 10 minutes or until the desired temperature is reached. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
As a note, make sure to remove any covering you might have used with the pie in the oven (ie: plastic wrap, aluminum foil, cling wrap, etc.)
MEALS TO PAIR SUGAR CREAM PIE WITH
There are plenty of delicious main course recipes to pair this delicious pie with. Here are a few ideas to help get you started!
- Keto Cast Iron Skillet Meatloaf
- Keto Air Fryer Double Cheeseburger
- Keto Garlic Chicken and Broccoli
- Keto Shrimp Scampi
- Keto Bacon Bourbon Meatballs
For more ideas, you can check out our recipe index.
TOOLS TO MAKE KETO SUGAR CREAM PIE
Click on the links to see the items used in making this recipe. You can also find these products linked in the recipe below.
- Glass Pie Plate – A glass pie plate can come in handy in any number of cooking scenarios. They are especially useful in pie making, since you can not only bake in them, but store the pie in them as well. No need to remove it and place it in another storage container when you’ve got a glass pie plate!
For the crust...
For the filling...
- Preheat oven to 400˚F
- Mix the crust ingredients together and form a crust in a glass pie plate
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes
- Combine all of the filling ingredients into a pot over low heat
- Stirring occasionally, only heat the cream, don't boil it! You are just aiming to warm it so the sweetener can dissolve much easier
- After the cream has been heated and the sweetener dissolved, pour the filling mixture into the pie place over the crust
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until the cream has turned a nice a light golden color; the cream will caramelize around the edges of the pie plate, but that is completely normal!
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool
- Chill the pie at least 4 hours before serving (overnight is best)
- Slice and enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 200Total Fat 18gCarbohydrates 2gProtein 3g